The ability to automatically split a document with multiple invoices is a typical demand when processing invoices in accounts payable workflows. Therefore, we set out on a journey to make this possible. As a first step, we have started recommending how to split batch documents into multiple independent files.
Split document based on suggested splits
When Rossum detects a batch file, you would see a “scissors” icon on the document dashboard.
If you would click on the “scissors” icon, you would be taken to the document editing screen where you can split, delete or rotate pages by 90 degrees.
Immediately, you should be seeing the suggested splits if Rossum detected a batch file, as shown on the image below.
The suggested splits can be updated or accepted as if you would be normally splitting the documents without any suggestions.
Moreover, if you would not agree with the splits, you could disable them by turning off the “Suggested split” toggle.
Clicking on the document instead of clicking on the “scissors” icon on the document dashboard would take you to the validation screen where you can see the “scissors” icon in the top left corner. And on the toolbar on the right you would see a highlighted document editing mode icon where you can accept the suggested splits.
How to enable splitting suggestions
In order to enable the new functionality you should:
- Navigate to the “Settings”
- Pick a Queue
- Navigate to the “Settings” tab of the Queue
- Pick the right option in the “Split batch files” dropdown
Currently you can set one of the following options:
- “Do not suggest”
- Detection of batch files and suggestion of possible splits will not be performed.
- Will try to detect batch files and recommend splits for newly uploaded files.
- “Automatic splitting”
- Automatic splitting based on the suggestion is not enabled but will be implemented in future.
This new functionality has currently few limitations:
- Detecting batch files and suggesting splits can be enabled only on queues with Generic AI Engine. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like us to enable this functionality even on queues with Dedicated AI Engine. Read more about the difference between the two engines.
- By default, Rossum’s AI Engine captures data only from the first 32 pages. The same limit applies to the detection of possible splits. If needed, this limit can be extended. Please contact us at email@example.com if you would like to increase this limit.
Note: Consider using the Rossum separator page when scanning documents that will be processed in Rossum.