Python Backend Developer
We use state-of-art AI plus intuitive UI to eliminate useless paperwork and make the whole world go faster. Help us engineer the backend for our SaaS platform to scale it to terabyte-sized datasets, tens of thousands of simultaneous users, and reliably serve the biggest enterprises and software vendors in the world.
We are already processing up to hundreds of documents per minute. But this volume grows exponentially and the scope of our product is only slightly slower. Our final goal is so far ahead that we won’t hesitate to rewrite everything a couple of times more.
Our Tech Stack
Rossum is basically a Python company (not uncommon for an AI startup). We use Python for training our AI models, actual data processing, and also for our backend APIs.
- Our backend services are written in Django or Flask.
- We are gradually chipping away loosely coupled microservices from our core components, picking the cases where it actually improves scaling and reliability.
- From being heavy REST API users, we are moving communication of our internal components towards message queues. We most like connecting our services by RabbitMQ or Apache Pulsar.
- We use PostgreSQL for our primary databases, partitioned to ensure queries are fast enough on our table sizes.
- Our ML models are built with Keras and Tensorflow, and we like to rely on Kubeflow for most training and experiments.
- Many of our customers are developers themselves. We love designing beautiful (and stable) APIs, and are even happy to host serverless user code as AWS lambda functions.
- All our services are deployed in Kubernetes clusters, currently in AWS. (But we avoid relying on the AWS ecosystem too much.)
- Our deployments and releases are 98% based on GitOps, with infrastructure defined as code and managed by GitLab-based CI+CD pipelines.
We are all geeks and hackers who like to engineer beautiful systems, all the way to Rossum’s CEO. You will fit right in if:
- You have experience with designing and building backend systems and APIs.
- You love programming in any language but agree Python is one of the best ways to code.
- You have experience with K8s, cloud platforms, and event-driven systems.
- You are used to taking end-to-end responsibility for features – from discovery and design to delivery and deployment.
- Your teams owned and operated services on their own, which is why you’ve already had personal responsibility for some or all of
- Monitoring and Metrics Dashboards
- Investigating and Resolving Issues in Production
- CI/CD pipelines
- Internal Tooling
- Automated Tests
- You are honest and bullshit-free. You base your opinions on data, but don’t cling on it in the face of good arguments.
- You are passionate about your work for both technical merits and its strong purpose.
What we offer (benefits)
We are building a hyper-growth SaaS startup following the best Silicon Valley practices, in Prague.
- We designed our Employee Stock Option Plan as the fairest in Prague.
- A laptop of your choice & necessary tech is a given.
- Beautiful office with 200 m2 terrace and a view of the Prague castle in the heart of Karlin.
- 5 weeks of vacation, flexible working hours, and home office setup.
- Tasty snacks & the best coffee and tea in Prague.
- English language lessons on all levels.
- Multisport card to get your workout at any of 2 700 places in Czechia.
Rossum (the name comes from Czech writer Karel Čapek’s play “Rossum’s Universal Robots”) is capable of extracting data (from documents) six times faster than the human rate. Last year alone it managed to save companies across a number of sectors over one billion keystrokes, the equivalent of 150 years of human labor. Today, the company automates document communication for customers on five continents and a client roster that includes Siemens, Bosch, Cushman & Wakefield, Veolia, and, here in the Czech Republic, Alza, Kofola, and Mattoni.
After tripling our revenue in 2020 and securing Eastern Europe’s largest-ever Series A funding of $100M in 2021 , we plan to further expand our market share and invest heavily across our Go-to-market teams & our research and development backbone.
Our product is number #1 in its category.